A group of industry and association stakeholders met with CMS in May 2017 to discuss long-postponed and much-needed changes to the 14 Day Rule. Below, I use the document's pagination (large numbers on the pages). This PPT and meeting didn't sway CMS alone; there were many other touchpoints and stakeholders involved over a couple years. But since this deck was associated with a success, it's probably worth study.
- The title is "The Impact of the Date of Service 14 Day Rule." So the "point" is "The Impact" and the "topic" is the 14DR.
- The stakeholders were Biodesix, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Guardant Health, LUNGevity, Myriad Genetics, Veracyte.
- So if you walk out after slide 2, you know everything the meeting was about.
- Note they chose to place "the history of the problem" ahead of "what the 14DR is." In part, they could be confident the people they were talking to knew what 14DR was. On the other hand, and we don't know, if this was a meeting with The Administrator, rather than mid level policy staffers, you couldn't assume that content knowledge.
- "Impact" here echoes the title of the whole deck.
- Is the message "here's how the Swiss watch works" or "This damn thing you've created is more complex than a Swiss watch! It hurts my eyes!"
- From "Impact" to "Consequences."
- Make the problem real. Tell a story.
- Years go by and you CMS do nothing. At the least, do the following, next slide: